Playoffs continue in District 5
Semifinal soccer action is set for today and Tuesday.
In District 5-AA girls games set for today, Windber, the fifth seed, will take on top-seeded Conemaugh Township at Meyersdale while third-seeded Bedford faces No. 2 North Star at Conemaugh Township. Both games are set for 6 p.m.
The championship will be played Wednesday at a site and time to be determined.
In District 5-A boys action set for Tuesday, sites and times have not yet been announced, but top-seeded Conemaugh Township will take on No. 5 Northern Bedford while second-seeded Fannett-Metal plays No. 3 Rockwood.
The championship will be played Thursday at a still to be determined site and time.
District 6 semifinals set
The two-time defending District 6-AA champion and top-seeded Bishop McCort girls will take on Richland in semifinal action at 6 p.m. today at Point Stadium.
The other semifinal, West Branch at Penns Valley, will be played Tuesday. The championship is Thursday.
In Class AAA girls semifinals on Monday, third-seeded Somerset travels to Central Mountain for a 6 p.m. game while Hollidaysburg is at top-seeded State College for a 5:30 p.m. contest. The championship will be Wednesday at Bald Eagle Area.
On Tuesday, the Class A boys semifinals feature top-seeded Richland hosting No. 4 Bishop Guilfoyle in a 7 p.m. game while the third-seeded Bishop McCort boys are at second-seeded Penns Valley for a 7:30 p.m. contest.
In Class AA boys semifinals Tuesday, top-seeded Lewistown plays No. 5 Westmont at Hollidaysburg at 6 p.m. while third-seeded Somerset is at No. 2 Bedford for a 6 p.m. battle.
The Class A and AA championships will be held Wednesday.
District postseason set to begin
District 5 volleyball playoffs open today while District 6 action is scheduled to get underway on Tuesday.
Top-seeded McConnellsburg hosts eighth-seeded Hyndman while No. 5 Everett is at No. 4 Berlin in the upper bracket. In the lower bracket, second-seeded North Star hosts No. 7 Fannett-Metal while No. 6 Shade is at third-seeded Windber in District 5 action. All games are 7 p.m.
The semifinals in District 5 will be played Tuesday with the championship on Thursday.
In District 6 Class A, top-seeded Northern Cambria, second-seed West Branch, third-seeded Bishop Guilfoyle, fourth-seeded Homer-Center and fifth-seeded Moshannon Valley all receive first-round byes.
Eleventh-seeded Purchase Line will be at sixth-seeded Ferndale in a 7:30 game Tuesday. Tenth-seeded Conemaugh Valley will be at No. 7 Mount Union for a 7:30 game with No. 9 Penns Manor playing No. 8 Bishop Carroll at Bald Eagle for a 6 p.m. game.
In Class AA, top-seeded Philipsburg-Osceola, second-seeded Somerset, third-seeded Penn Cambria and fourth-seeded Central have first-round byes.
On Tuesday, No. 7 Westmont will play No. 10 Marion Center at 6 p.m. at Ferndale while No. 5 Chestnut Ridge faces No. 12 Penns Valley at 6 p.m. at Altoona and No. 8 Huntingdon squares off with No. 9 Richland at 6 p.m. at Mount Union.
Semifinals in District 6 are Thursday with the finals on Saturday.
- Eye doctor gets $500K grant to fix up old Szechuan building; renovation plans include apartments, restaurant, podcast studio
- 'What better place to shoot in?': Horror film shot in Cambria-Somerset region set to be released
- Experts answer your COVID-19 questions: 'If I am in quarantine because of an employee who tested positive, can I still go get my second shot?'
- Investigation: Woman killed after agreeing to meet about online purchase
- Police: Four girls set fire at Ferndale house because they were 'bored,' posted video on Snapchat
- WATCH VIDEO: Suspect arrested in Geistown Borough homicide; victim identified
- WATCH VIDEO | 'A tough gig': Johnstown native logs high-profile ring time with All Elite Wrestling
- Man accused of killing woman over refrigerator sale dispute heads to court
- Seven Springs skier goes through fence into crowd; 2 hurt
- 2-week deer season approved, rifles banned from turkey hunts