Chiefs sign defenseman
The Johnstown Chiefs announced Thursday that they have signed defenseman Bobby Phillips.
“Bobby Phillips will add a big physical presence to our blueline,” Chiefs General Manager Bill Bredin said. “He is coming to us from Mercyhurst College where he had a solid career. He will be attending camp with Lake Erie, so we expect him to make an immediate impact.”
Standing 6-foot-3 and weighing 210 pounds, Phillips will fit in well with the Chiefs’ group of big defensemen.
Phillips twice was named the Lakers’ top defenseman (2006-07 and 2007-08), and in 2007 he made the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA) All-Academic Team.
Phillips had 26 points and
224 penalty minutes during his college career. Prior to Mercyhurst he spent 2003-04 with the St. Louis Heartland Eagles of the USHL and 2004-05 with the Toledo IceDiggers of the NAHL.
Rape claim was calculated: Lawyer
CARSON CITY, Nev. – Lawyers for Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said in court documents that the woman who has accused him of raping her at a Lake Tahoe hotel-casino concocted the story, in part, to try to shield herself from possible layoffs at the resort.
The woman fabricated the rape allegation against the two-time Super Bowl winner to try to prevent Harrah’s Lake Tahoe from terminating her after she had taken prolonged bereavement leave, Roethlisberger’s lawyers said.
The woman has said she was hospitalized for several months last fall because of trauma from the alleged July 11, 2008 attack by Roethlisberger.
The quarterback’s lawyers have said the woman’s emotional collapse had nothing to do with a rape but resulted from a failed relationship with a married man and then a long-distance relationship that turned out to be a hoax.
The 31-year-old VIP hostess filed a civil suit in July, alleging Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in his penthouse suite while he was at Lake Tahoe the previous summer to compete in a celebrity golf tournament. The suit says she was hospitalized for several months because she was traumatized after the alleged attack.
Chiefs sign defenseman
- Somerset County man perishes after logging accident
- 'Welcome aboard' | Johnstown adds six new police officers
- PHOTO GALLERY | Saluting 'the world champion': Wrestler Bassett returns home to parade, rally in his honor
- After winning world freestyle title, Johnstown's Bassett denied second gold in Greco-Roman wrestling
- 'A grown-up's Disney World': Multi-million dollar distillery project expected to begin construction next month
- Bishop McCort welcomes home champion wrestler Bo Bassett
- Richland police: Man showed boys obscene photographs
- Where are the fans? Mill Rats last in Prospect League attendance despite being in playoff hunt
- Police: Johnstown woman bit officer during arrest
- Cambria judge reinstates mask order in county courtrooms