The Western Illinois baseball program has hired United High School graduate Tayler Sheriff as pitching coach/recruiting coordinator. The Leathernecks compete in the Summit League.
Six baseball players representing college, high school and summer league teams that competed at Sargent’s Stadium this year have been nominated for the 2021 Point Stadium Award.
The Bishop McCort Catholic High School football team is working to secure a home field for at least two upcoming contests originally planned to be held at Sargent’s Stadium at the Point.
The All American Amateur Baseball Association national tournament returned from a one-year pandemic hiatus in grand style last week, with New Orleans claiming yet another title, with two local entries reaching the championship bracket, and with an engaging new group from North Carolina dancing into the hearts of area baseball fans.
The Boosters scored double-digit runs for the sixth time in the tournament, as they coasted to a 17-6 victory over New Brunswick in seven innings.
After taking a one-run lead in the top of the eighth, the Altoona Curve gave up 10 runs in the bottom of the inning as the RubberDucks won their third straight game in the series, 12-3, on Saturday night at Canal Park.
The New Brunswick Matrix center fielder then made some noise of his own by smashing a home run into the deep right field bleacher section near the batting cage. The solo shot ignited a Maxtrix comeback in a 10-5 win over the host team and put New Brunswick into the championship game of the 76th AAABA Tournament.
In the last tension-filled innings of the 76th AAABA semifinal Friday night, many fans became serious, while others simply continued enjoying the social event.
Clinging to a one-run lead through seven innings, New Orleans erupted for 14 runs over the final two innings to trounce Philadelphia 20-5 in a AAABA Tournament semifinal contest on Friday afternoon at Sargent's Stadium at the Point.
- Body found in Wyoming believed to be Gabrielle Petito
- Holiday Inn Johnstown-Downtown sold at auction
- World champion wrestler Bo Bassett ready for his next challenge
- Experts answer your COVID-19 questions: 'Why not test for antibodies?'
- Johnstown police: Windber man jailed after alleged attack on woman
- Learning curve: Business owners, residents offer mixed reactions to new Geistown roundabout
- WATCH VIDEO | 'Bacon' home the prize: Eating contest part of Geistown's weekend festival
- Nearly 200 Cambria, Somerset school-age children get COVID-19 in one week
- Windber council OKs variance for surplus store to operate in residential neighborhood
- 'Story that needs to be told': Family, friends interviewed for documentary about Johnstown's Haselrig