Kerry “Koko” Pfeil might be new to the role as manager of the Martella’s Pharmacy franchise, but he certainly is part of the Johnstown Collegiate Baseball League power’s baseball family.
The 76th annual AAABA Tournament isn’t scheduled to be held until August, but the COVID-19 pandemic already is impacting the summer tradition – perhaps even threatening the host organization’s ability to hold the event.
The 76th annual AAABA Tournament once again will need some assistance from franchises sending two teams to the annual event, but Executive Director John Austin said the national board welcomed interest from four additional franchises that might boost the field by 2021.
On Monday night, Johnstown City Council acknowledged Don Stanton’s appointment to the role as commissioner of the JCBL. The league had selected Stanton as its next leader last month and awaited approval by council.
The Johnstown Collegiate Baseball League is at an important crossroads now that its behind-the-scenes leadership team is in transition. This week, Tony Crisafulli submitted his resignation to the city and informed the local league sponsors and managers.
A trio of Martella’s Pharmacy players joined high school football standouts from Bishop McCort Catholic, Cambria Heights and Richland as Point Stadium Award nominees for the months of July through September.
The New Orleans Boosters prevented Martella’s Pharmacy from repeating as champion in the 75th annual AAABA Tournament in front of an estimated 4,500 fans at Sargent’s Stadium at the Point on Saturday night.
A rematch of the 2018 AAABA Tournament championship game unfolded on Saturday night at Sargent’s Stadium at the Point.
This Week's Circulars
Erma Jane, 68, Nanty Glo, (Moriconi Funeral Home, Inc., Northern Cambria)
TAYLOR[mdash] Calvin Cleveland, Jr., 44, of Lakewood, NJ. Went to be with the lord on March 27, 2020. Born on October 23, 1975. Viewing will be held at Moskal-Reid Funeral Home on Friday April 3, 2020 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. A private funeral memorial service will be held for the family at Wor…
Ann E., 74, Johnstown. (John Henderson Company Funeral Home)
NULL[mdash] George R., 72, of Seanor, PA, beloved husband, father, grandfather and friend went home to be with his Lord and Savior on March 30, 2020. George was born on May 10, 1947 to the late William and Marie Null. He was preceded in death by his sister, Faye Thomas and brother, Boyd Null…
- Employees at Giant Eagle locations test positive
- University of Pittsburgh reports successful COVID-19 vaccine trial
- WATCH VIDEO | Man who allegedly fired shots in Sheetz parking lot had no gun license, police say
- Governor provides list of 'essential' businesses that can remain open
- BREAKING | Second Cambria coronavirus case confirmed, state tops 4,000
- Cambria County officials approve of stay-at-home order
- Caught on video: Johnstown police respond after shots fired at Sheetz on Broad Street
- Conemaugh: ‘We are testing’; adding Richland site for doctor referrals, appointments
- Governor's COVID-19 stay-at-home exemptions listed
- 120-year-old funeral home changes hands