By TOM LAVIS
It’s time for the Hanson Brothers to foil up as they bring their aggressive hockey madness back to Johnstown at 7 p.m. Saturday.
The Hanson Brothers will reprise their legendary “Slap Shot” characters at the Cambria County War Memorial Arena as the Johnstown Chiefs square off with the Cincinnati Cyclones.
In addition to their often wild on-ice antics, the Hanson Brothers – Steve and Jeff Carlson and Dave Hanson – will participate in a signing of The Tribune-Democrat’s book “Slap Shots and Snapshots: 50 Seasons of Pro Hockey in Johnstown.”
The book includes a section on the 1977 movie “Slap Shot” filmed in Johnstown, with the bespectacled Hanson Brothers as the rough-and-tumble catalysts of the Charlestown Chiefs.
“It has been a few seasons since the Hansons have been here and ticket sales are definitely up,” said Kevin McGeehan, vice president of public relations for the Chiefs.
“Fans will have a chance to get autographs and a photo with the Hansons during the game near the concourse behind the Party Pit,” he said.
In one of the funnier scenes in the movie, the Hansons could be seen mixing tinfoil with the tape around their hands, so they could cut opponents when they brawled.
In real life, brothers Steve, Jeff and Jack Carlson played on the 1974-75 Johnstown Jets team that inspired the movie.
Dave Hanson was a teammate.
In 1993, the trio reunited for an appearance in Memphis, Tenn., where Steve Carlson was coaching.
They sensed how popular their characters remained years after “Slap Shot” and decided to tour as the Hansons.
“They will do a few skits prior to the game and they will interact with fans in the stands,” McGeehan said.
“Ticket sales are generally slow prior to the holiday, but this has generated some great excitement.
“The boys also are fired up about returning to Johnstown, because this is where it started.”
The Hansons and Charlestown Chiefs were based on the 1974-75 Johnstown Jets team that soared from seventh place in January to a playoff championship in April.
Who: The Hanson Brothers.
What: On-ice antics and book signing.
When: 7 p.m. Saturday.
Where: Cambria County War Memorial Arena, 326 Napoleon St., Johnstown.
Tickets: At box office or by calling 536-5156 or (800) 243-8499.
Cost: $14.50 for adults, $12.50 for seniors and students and $8 for children.
By TOM LAVIS
- Coroner confirms fatal hunting accident in Jackson Township
- Retired Westmont businessman donates land for park below Inclined Plane
- Downtown Development | Houses and lofts: More people choosing to live in the downtown
- Downtown Development | 'Momentum' in Johnstown: Numerous projects that will refurbish buildings, open new businesses in motion
- Man who died in Cambria County hunting accident identified
- PHOTO GALLERY | Southern Columbia scores 41 straight points to handle Richland
- Larry Elder | The Kyle Rittenhouse case – send in the clowns
- Efforts continue to uncover Windber teen's fate 34 years after disappearance
- Richland faces familiar opponent in Southern Columbia for third straight year (with picks)
- Downtown Development | 'People just like me': Transplants, young entrepreneurs energize city's business sector