Clifford Eddins and Dennis Manson

Clifford Keiheei Eddins (left) and Dennis Warren Manson, both charged in connection with the April 3 fatal shooting of 24-year-old Tevin Sitton in Dale Borough 

EBENSBURG – Two Johnstown men originally charged as co-conspirators in the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Tevin Sitton last year were sentenced to probation Tuesday after testifying last week in the jury trial for Jalen Gibson.

Dennis Manson, 24, and Clifford Eddins, 26, appeared in front of Judge Patrick Kiniry Tuesday morning, during which both men were sentenced to two years of probationary supervision in Cambria County.

Both men have been incarcerated since April 5, 2017, when they were charged as co-conspirators in Sitton's death.

Kiniry ordered Manson, who had no prior criminal record, to be released Tuesday. He was represented by Art McQuillan.

Eddins' release will be determined by the state due to a state parole violation incurred when he was charged in Sitton's death from a 2010 conviction on felony robbery and assault charges. Eddins served six years in state prison for those charges.

Eddins was represented by public defenders Joseph Sutton and Michael Filia.

In May, both entered into plea agreements in which they pleaded guilty to hindering apprehension in exchange for their testimony at Gibson's trial.

Johnstown police said Manson was driving the white Chevrolet Malibu from which Sitton was shot along Von Lunen Road in Dale Borough around 5:30 p.m. April 3, 2017.

Video surveillance shown at Gibson's trial showed Sitton shaking the hands of Manson and Eddins, the front seat passenger, before shots were fired from the car's back seat.

During trial, both Manson and Eddins testified that they thought they were being shot at, identified Gibson as the backseat passenger at the time of the shooting and said they were arrested before they had a chance to turn themselves in as planned.

Gibson was convicted of first-degree murder by the jury of six men and six women Aug. 7 after a little more than two hours of deliberation.

He was also convicted of aggravated assault, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and four counts of reckless endangerment.

The jury found Gibson not guilty of one count of aggravated assault and one count of aggravated assault by a deadly weapon based on evidence presented about shots also fired in the direction of Sitton's brother, Dwayne, during the incident.

Gibson's attorney, Ryan Tutera, plans to file an appeal of that conviction.

Gibson is scheduled for sentencing Sept. 6.

Senior Deputy State Attorney Generals Patrick Schulte and Bobbi Jo Wagner are not seeking the death penalty in Gibson's case. The maximum sentence he faces is life in prison.

​Jocelyn Brumbaugh is a reporter for the Tribune-Democrat. Follow her on Twitter @JBrumbaughTD.

Recommended for you