Central Cambria High School

Central Cambria High School in Ebensburg is shown on Jan. 13, 2017.

EBENSBURG – Central Cambria’s former superintendent has surrendered his educator certificates in the wake of an investigation into allegations he committed fraud, awarded favors to family members and had an inappropriate relationship with a district employee.

A Department of Education disciplinary action notice shows Vincent DiLeo took the step, effectively bringing the investigation to an end, last month after allegations were made that he acted improperly during his years as the district’s top administrator.

The move comes a year after DiLeo took a leave of absence “for personal reasons” – and then abruptly retired from the school after eight years there.

In an order dated Aug. 17, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Professional Standards and Practices Commission officials wrote that their investigation began on March 2, six months after DiLeo retired, after an official “educator misconduct complaint” was submitted by an unidentified party.

It alleged that DiLeo:

• had a romantic and inappropriate relationship with a subordinate,

• made inappropriate comments about female employees’ appearances,

• gave unapproved financial benefits to his secretary,

• doubled the actual amount of work hours assigned to a consultant related to him so she could get paid more,

• didn’t charge his brother for hosting a karate tournament on district property,

• mistreated some employees in a retaliatory manner,

• and failed to take action during unspecified situations that had the potential to endanger students.

State officials said they found the complaint to be legally sufficient to support a probable cause determination against DiLeo, prompting the longtime educator, a onetime Altoona Area administrator, to surrender a list of teaching licenses he had acquired in Pennsylvania.

Those licenses are required to teach and act as an administrator in Pennsylvania public schools.

DiLeo, 63, had held some of the certifications for more than 30 years.

Central Cambria Solicitor Brendan Moran didn’t discuss the individual allegations against DiLeo but he noted the district hasn’t had him on their payroll for a year.

He indicated the district did not file the complaint against DiLeo, and was in no way involved.

“In cases like this, the state conducts its own investigation,” Moran said, noting that the district no longer has any ties to the former superintendent.

Superintendent Jason Moore replaced DiLeo as full-time superintendent earlier in the year.

School officials have never publicly discussed why DiLeo was placed on a leave of absence in September 2017. School officials said they could not comment on the matter because it was a personnel issue.

DiLeo’s retirement ended his contract with the district nearly a year before it was due to expire.

No criminal charges have been filed in the matter. State officials indicated DiLeo cooperated with the investigation once the complaint was received.

Through the settlement, DiLeo also signed documents indicating he would also surrender his eligibility to work for charter and cyber schools.

The action notice didn’t list any statements from DiLeo about his conduct, and an effort to reach him for comment was unsuccessful Thursday. It appeared his telephone number is no longer listed.

It was not known if the investigation’s results would impact DiLeo’s retirement benefits, although that typically does not occur unless criminal convictions occur.

Moran noted the state Pennsylvania School Employee Retirement System office oversees public educator pensions, and funding disbursements, not school districts where they serve.

David Hurst is a reporter for The Tribune-Democrat. He can be reached at (814) 532-5053. Follow him on Twitter @TDDavidHurst and Instagram @TDDavidHurst.

Recommended for you