Summerhill fire

A woman and her dog escaped a fire at this home on the 1400 block of Railroad Street in Summerhill Borough on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020.

A woman and her dog escaped a burning home in Summerhill Borough on Saturday after fire broke out in the 1400 block of Railroad Street, authorities said.

The resident was in a second-floor bedroom when the fire started at 12:44 a.m. on the first floor, Summerhill Borough fire Chief Bob Burkett said.

The resident went downstairs, saw fire and called 911, he said.

The woman barely escaped with her small dog as flames crept toward them, Burkett said.

"It was a close call for her," Burkett said. "Another five minutes and she would have been trapped upstairs."

When the deputy chief got to the scene, he reported a working structure fire. As other firefighters arrived, flames were rolling out of a first-floor window, Burkett said.

Firefighters went through the front door and doused the flames in what Burkett called a quick knock-down.

"They did a great job," the chief said.

Burkett said the fire apparently started near a first-floor electrical outlet.

The house sustained extensive fire, heat and smoke damage with much of the contents destroyed, he said.

The resident is staying with family.

Firefighters from the South Fork and St. Michael departments were at the scene along with Forest Hills and Portage EMS.

Patrick Buchnowski is a reporter for The Tribune-Democrat. He can be reached at 532-5061. Follow him on Twitter @PatBuchnowskiTD.

Recommended for you