We are living in a very fast-paced world, and Merriam-Webster is definitely doing a good job keeping up with the current trends. The dictionary added more than 250 words in the last month, including "Sriracha," "Fro-yo," and "Troll." The update also includes more political words, like "alt-right," which is defined as "a right-wing, primarily online political movement or grouping based in the U.S. whose members reject mainstream conservative politics and espouse extremist beliefs and policies typically centered on ideas of white nationalism." What other words should be added to the dictionary?
As featured on
More than 250 new words have been added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, from old terms now imbued with political meaning - like "dog whistle" - to newer portmanteaus like "froyo."
This Week's Circulars
GROVE[mdash]George Kenneth, Jr., 53, Loretto, died October 15, 2019 at Indiana Hospital Emergency Room. Born October 8, 1966 in Cleveland, Ohio, son of George Sr. and Leah Rae (Wills) Grove. Preceded in death by father on January 14, 2008. Survived by mother of Loretto, wife, the former Gina…
MCDAY[mdash] Charles G., 66, Johnstown, lovingly called "Charlie", took hold of God's hand on October 12, 2019. Charlie was born on July 24, 1953, to the union of Marie Twyman Tucker and Robert McDay in Cincinnati, Ohio. At a young age, the family moved to Johnstown. Charlie was a Graduate o…
PATTERSON[mdash] Lou Ann, 63, Cambria Care Center, Ebensburg, native of Carrolltown, passed away October 16, 2019. Born January 12, 1956, in Spangler, daughter of Stanley and Charlotte (Snyder) Gwizdak. Preceded in death by parents; and son, Rodney Patterson. Survived by children; Jamie Patt…
WEIMER[mdash] Darleen T., 70, Strongstown, died October 15, 2019 at Shadyside Hospital. She was the daughter of the late Bion E. (Ed) Tomb and Jean M. Tomb and was born September 25, 1949 in Indiana, PA. She was a member of the Homer City Presbyterian Church. She loved and adored her family …
O'FARRELL[mdash] Mary Lou (McCully), 83, Nanty Glo, passed away October 16, 2019 at home. She was born January 18, 1936 in Revloc. Daughter of the late George Roy and Sara (Rager) McCully. Preceded in death by husband Kenneth R., Sr. whom she was married to for 54 years, infant son Mark, bro…
- Johnstown man whose letter sparked backlash at Penn State over perceived racial insensitivity is world traveler, says 'the African people are wonderful'
- Chip Minemyer | Johnstown man's letter to Penn State player called racially insensitive, sets off social-media firestorm
- Identical twins give birth on the same day
- Forest Hills 8th grader wins high school national championship
- Pro-marijuana group to hold community cleanup event
- Johnstown family takes top prize on ABC’s 'America’s Funniest Home Videos'
- No details released on Greater Johnstown 'shelter in place'
- Johnstown man found guilty on four sexual assault charges
- Accident closes road near Point Stadium
- Portage, Douglas steal the show against Meyersdale