Schedule of meals
The following is a schedule for meals for students in area school districts and through community outreach programs in place during the coronavirus-prompted shutdown. All meals are grab-and-go:
• Blacklick Valley School District: Families can pick up meals from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the elementary center and the high school during the week.
• Brownstown “Little Red Library”: Food exchange location.
• Central Cambria School District: Staff will provide breakfast and lunch to students from 11 a.m. to noon Monday and Thursday at Jackson Elementary, Central Cambria High School and Holy Name Catholic School, Ebensburg. Children must be present in the vehicle. Students and families may also walk to the site.
Weekend Backpack Project extended to all students in K-12; no income guidelines; families may request food for each child within the family. Bags will include two breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks and drinks. Any student can be enrolled or removed from the list at any time by calling the district at 814-472-8870.
• Coal Miner’s Diner, Jennerstown: School-aged children can receive a free meal and pick from a hot dog, grilled cheese, spaghetti and meatballs or chicken nuggets with a side.
• Coney Island: Free meals for children from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m. during the week.
• Conemaugh Township Area School District: Families are asked to reach out to Food Service Director Adam Thomas and the school will make the necessary arrangements.
• Conemaugh Valley School District: Free lunch for all students available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Conemaugh Valley High School; the Conemaugh Valley Youth League Baseball Field in East Conemaugh; East Taylor fire hall; Franklin fire hall; St. Gregory and Barnabas Church – Bon Air and Daisytown locations.
• Forest Hills School District: Monday, Wednesday and Friday meals can be picked up at Dunlo fire hall – 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.; South Fork Wesley United
Methodist Church, Salix Bethel United Methodist Church – 11 to 11:45 a.m.; Sidman United Methodist Church 11:15 to 11:45 a.m.; Summerhill Township Fire Company Social Hall, Croyle Township Supervisors Building, St. Michael Catholic Church – 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.; Wilmore Heights – noon to 12:30 p.m.; Mine 42 Social Club – 12:10 to 12:30 p.m.
• Greater Johnstown School District: Meals can be picked up Monday and Wednesday from noon to 12:30 p.m. at Johnstown Middle School, Park Avenue United Methodist Church, Coopersdale, Prospect and Solomon Homes and 12:30 to 1 p.m. at Oakhurst Homes.
Backpack Project Weekend Meals will be available from noon to 12:30 p.m. Thursday at Johnstown Middle School, Coopersdale, Prospect and Solomon Homes and from 12:30 to 1 p.m. at Johnstown Middle School, Oakhurst Homes and Park Avenue United Methodist Church. The final backpack pickup before summer break will be June 4.
• Penn Cambria School District: Multiple meals can be picked up from 11 a.m. to noon Monday and Thursday at Penn Cambria High School.
• Portage Area School District: Meals will be available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the high school.
• Richland School District: Free breakfast and lunch will be made available to district children 18 years of age and younger Mondays and Thursdays.
Meals can be picked up from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Richland High School, Luray Avenue Playground, Aspen Woods Playground and Mine 37 Playground.
• The Salvation Army: Free meals will be served out of the back of the Vine Street building from 4 to 4:30 p.m. Mondays. Meals for five days will be packaged to take home.
• Sheetz: All Sheetz stores are offering free children’s meals daily while supplies last.
• St. Vincent de Paul Family Kitchen: Takeout meals served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays.
• Westmont Hilltop School District: Free breakfast and lunch will be made available to all children 18 years of age and younger Mondays and Thursdays, regardless of the school they attend on a first-come, first-served basis. Meals can be picked up from 10:30 to 11 a.m. at Westmont Hilltop Elementary and Upper Yoder Police Station and from 11 to 11:30 a.m. at The Mound Playground in Old Westmont and Tom’s Circle at Camoset Village.
• Windber Area School District: Breakfast and lunch are available for all children 18 years of age or younger regardless of the school they attend from 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday and Thursday at all Windber schools; Windber Stadium Terrace; Mine 40 playground; Ogletown Municipal Building; Windber Fire Department; Scalp Level Fire Department and the Paint Township Frosty Corner building across from Pomroy’s Convenience Store.
Windber Families are asked to call 814-467-4567, ext. 801, if they cannot reach any of the aforementioned locations.
• Windber Area Community Kitchen: Meals are available every day but Sunday from 3 to 4:30 p.m.