BERNT – Joan “Jody,” 81, life-long resident of Johnstown, died Thursday, Oct. 16, 2008, at McCullough House, after a valiant struggle with heart disease. Born June 5, 1927, she was the daughter of Frank and Henrietta (Ott) Bernt, the youngest of four sisters. As a young woman, she worked at Cambria Library but spent the majority of her working life as an assistant manager at Pennsylvania Electric Co. An active member of First Lutheran Church for many years, Jody volunteered as a hospital visitor each Saturday. As an avid history buff, she also volunteered as a docent at the Johnstown Inclined Plane. Jody was predeceased by her sisters, Mary Thom and Sara Bernt. She is survived by her eldest sister, Elizabeth Upton, of Sturbridge, Mass.; her nieces, Lisbeth (Upton) Davis and Amy (Upton) Grossi; and her nephews, Lee Upton Jr. and John Thom. In addition, Jody leaves eight grandnieces and grandnephews and many good and devoted friends. Friends will be received from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Picking-Treece-Bennett Mortuary Inc., West Hills, 921 Menoher Blvd., and where service will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday, the Rev. Eleanor Abarno officiating. Donations may be sent in Jody’s honor to The American Heart Association or the First Lutheran Church, Vine Street, Johnstown, Pa.
- Eye doctor gets $500K grant to fix up old Szechuan building; renovation plans include apartments, restaurant, podcast studio
- 'What better place to shoot in?': Horror film shot in Cambria-Somerset region set to be released
- Experts answer your COVID-19 questions: 'If I am in quarantine because of an employee who tested positive, can I still go get my second shot?'
- Investigation: Woman killed after agreeing to meet about online purchase
- Police: Four girls set fire at Ferndale house because they were 'bored,' posted video on Snapchat
- WATCH VIDEO: Suspect arrested in Geistown Borough homicide; victim identified
- WATCH VIDEO | 'A tough gig': Johnstown native logs high-profile ring time with All Elite Wrestling
- Seven Springs skier goes through fence into crowd; 2 hurt
- Man accused of killing woman over refrigerator sale dispute heads to court
- 2-week deer season approved, rifles banned from turkey hunts