SEARCEY – Barbara Ellen, 66, of Front Royal, Va., passed away Friday, Oct. 10, 2008, at her home. She was the widow of Charles W. “Rick” Searcey. Barbara was born and raised in Portage, daughter to the late Harry and Irene (Bier) Shaffer. She will be missed by her family and many friends who loved her. Along with her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by her brothers, Pete Shaffer, and his wife, Dorothy; Howard Shaffer; and DJ Shaffer, and his wife, Clara; her sister, Betty; and one grandson, William “Billy” Henry Malone IV. She is survived by her children, Ellen Malone, of Front Royal; Jo-Anna Searcey, and her boyfriend, Stephen Cowgill, of Front Royal; and Pam Brinklow, and her husband, Todd, of King George; her grandchildren, Jay Malone, and his wife, Melissa; Greg Malone, and his wife, Kelli; Joseph Kay, and his wife, Laura; Alexandra Brinklow; Jordan Searcey; and Alex Cowgill; her great-grandsons, Nathan, Jacob and Liam Malone; and her stepsons, Richard Searcey of Florida and Bevill Searcey of North Carolina. Other survivors include her brothers, Merle Shaffer, and his wife, Valeta, of Claypool, Ariz., and Oran Shaffer, and his wife, Jennifer, of Portage; her sister, Virginia Douglas of Pennsylvania; and sister-in-law, Rose Ann Shaffer; along with many nieces, nephews and close friends who considered her a part of their families. An internment service will be held at 2 p.m. Oct. 17 in Quantico National Cemetery, Triangle, Va., with Pastor Todd Kube officiating. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in her memory to Blue Ridge Hospice, National Epilepsy Foundation or a charity of your choice. Maddox Funeral Home, Front Royal, Va., is handling the arrangements.
- Eye doctor gets $500K grant to fix up old Szechuan building; renovation plans include apartments, restaurant, podcast studio
- 'What better place to shoot in?': Horror film shot in Cambria-Somerset region set to be released
- Experts answer your COVID-19 questions: 'If I am in quarantine because of an employee who tested positive, can I still go get my second shot?'
- Investigation: Woman killed after agreeing to meet about online purchase
- Police: Four girls set fire at Ferndale house because they were 'bored,' posted video on Snapchat
- WATCH VIDEO: Suspect arrested in Geistown Borough homicide; victim identified
- WATCH VIDEO | 'A tough gig': Johnstown native logs high-profile ring time with All Elite Wrestling
- Man accused of killing woman over refrigerator sale dispute heads to court
- Seven Springs skier goes through fence into crowd; 2 hurt
- 2-week deer season approved, rifles banned from turkey hunts