Motorists who depend on the Maple Avenue Bridge on Route 271 in Johnstown’s Woodvale neighborhood should allow a little extra time beginning today.
The $2.6 million bridge rehabilitation project will force traffic to be reduced to one lane. Traffic flow will be controlled by temporary signals, Tara Callahan-Henry, PennDOT community relations coordinator, said Monday.
HRI of State College is the primary contractor for the project, which will include installation of new strip seal joints, bearing pads, installation of a latex overlay, sidewalk modifications, substructure repairs and minor paving work on the roadway approach.
The latex overlay will be applied to the deck of the bridge, which crosses the Little Conemaugh River and the Norfolk Southern Railroad, Callahan-Henry said.
“The best way to describe it, is that it’s kind of like sealing your driveway,” she said.
“We’ve been doing that on a lot of bridges lately.”
Nearly 4,000 vehicles use the Maple Avenue Bridge daily. Delays because of the work could be as short as less than a minute to 11/2 minutes, according to information
provided by PennDOT’s
“During periods when both approaches are not activating concurrently the signal will go green instantly,” Roberts said in an email. “The signal will rest on red for each approach at all times.”
The Maple Avenue span was built more than 50 years ago, in 1958, and was last worked on in 1997.
This latest work is being done through a design/build preservation project.
Callahan-Henry said that under an agreement with
PennDOT, the State
College-based construction company designed the preservation project and will make the improvements on their design.
The federal government is picking up much of the cost of the project – 80 percent – with the state paying the remaining 20 percent.
The project will be completed by February.